The project will offer a range of unit types and affordability levels, with half of the affordable units set aside for local residents.
AFFORDABLE OFFICE SPACE
The facility will include over 12,500 SF of office space available to not-for-profit and small businesses at discounted rates.
The Bedford Union Armory, originally named the Troop C Armory after its construction at the turn of the 20th centure, is located at 1555 Bedford Avenue in the Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn. The Armory occupies nearly an entire city block between Bedford Avenue, Rogers Avenue, Union Street, and President Street.
Designed by architects Pilcher and Tachau, the Armory was acclaimed as the first structure of the "Art Noveau" style in Brooklyn. The historic Armory was comprised of two main sections, the Drill Hall and the Head House, and a third section, the parking facility, was added at a later date. The armory, cutting edge at its time, was designed to accommodate the needs of a cavalry unit. The Head House contains offices, classrooms, a bar or reception room, and a small gym. The lower level along President Street contains a one-hundred-yard-long firing range, as well as the building's mechanical, locker and storage rooms.
Although originally built to accommodate the National Guard, the Bedford Union Armory was regularly used by civilians for athletic events, community gatherings and other civic functions. The property reverted to control by the City of New York (the "City") in 2013 and has remained primarily vacant.